ICAA Florida Education & Events Calendar
Plein Air Palm Beach Sketch Tour
Join a historical walking tour of beautiful Worth Avenue in Palm Beach, featuring a small group outdoor lecture, accompanied by a sketching class with instruction in the architectural style and detail of the area of focus.
The tour will meet at a central location and walk the length of Worth Avenue with a lecture on the architectural history of the iconic buildings and courtyards, including masterpieces from Addison Mizner. We will also discuss selecting the sketch composition(s). Students will then be given approximately forty five minutes to sketch the first composition. The group will move to a second location, receive relevant architectural information, and commence on a second sketch. There will be a final gathering at the end of the class to display the work, discuss in a group, and answer questions.
Materials needed: Sketch book, pen/pencil, other drawing supplies (eraser, sharpener, etc.) walking shoes, hat, water/snacks, camera. Optional: color media (markers, watercolors, etc.)
This event is hosted by an ICAA Chapter. Please check the Chapter website, or contact the Chapter directly, for the most up-to-date details including dates, times, and pricing.
What you will learn
- Sketch analysis: Learn the history and architectural styles of Palm Beach. Locations for the plein air studio are selected based on historical significance and demonstrable benefits to the public achieved through specific location design and objectives below.
- Environment: Design courtyards and streets that benefit energy efficiency, occupant comfort, and ventilation.
- Materials & Methods: Design construction systems, products, finishes, furnishings, and equipment and their application to the overall environmental and aesthetic performance of the courtyard spaces.
- Pre-design: Select site conditions and land use analysis of axis and solar/shade benefits.
- Design & Preservation: Learn the history and historical application of the urban and building design of the “courtyard designs” along Worth Avenue. Note contemporary adaptation and benefit.
For more information, please call Anne Finch, Chapter Director, 305-951-6314 or email Director@flclassicist.org
Palm Beach – Worth Avenue Walking TourApril 15 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am
With Appreciation and Gratitude to our
Patron’s Circle Sponsors
Alonso & Associates, Inc. | Cove Construction Group | Fernando Wong Outdoor Living Design | Flower Construction
Lead Lecture Series Sponsor
& Henry Flagler Donors
Belt | Branca | Fairfax & Sammons | Gil Walsh Interiors | Marmotech | Shoreline Building Group