ICAA Florida Education & Events Calendar
ICAA Florida Summer Sketch Tour: Baughman Center, University of Florida, Gainesville
Virtual Sketching with the ICAA FLorida Chapter
Join us for our Florida Summer Sketch Tour, a weekly virtual sketching exercise
This week’s subject: Baughman Center, University of Florida, Gainesville
Completed in 2000, and designed by architect John Zona, the Baughman Center is a stunning, elegant contemplation space nestled next to Lake Alice in the heart of the University of Florida campus. It was designed to bring the picturesque outdoor setting inside with its soaring windows and intricate ceiling design.
The exterior walls and windows and made of natural Florida cypress. The verticality of the design references the surrounding trees. The roof of the pavilion is framed in yellow pine and finished with copper. The front door is made of maple with inlaid Gothic patterns in cherry and an ornamental mahogany architrave. The floor is three shades of travertine marble arranged in a geometric pattern based on the building’s structure. The pavilion’s dominant axis coincides with sunrise and sunset at the summer solstice.
Here’s how it works:
- Select an image or visit the location if possible for a Plein Air sketch
- Using any medium you like, sketch or paint one or more images/views.
- Show us your skills! Snap a photo of your illustration and post it to your Instagram account (or email to Director@flclassicist.org) with your location, a little something about yourself and the following tags by Sunday, July 26 at midnight:
- Follow us on IG @icaaflorida #floridasummersketchtour #icaaflorida
We’ll be searching for those tags and may feature your #floridasummersketchtour image on our Instagram page on Monday!
Ends Sunday, August 2nd at midnight.
Take a look at the latest IG Summer Sketch entries
- December 3 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- April 15, 2023 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am