ICAA Florida Education & Events Calendar
Florida Summer Sketch Tour: Flagler College, St. Augustine
Virtual Sketching with the ICAA FLORIDA CHAPTER
Join us for our Florida Summer Sketch Tour, a weekly virtual sketching exercise.
This Week’s Subject: Flagler College, St. Augustine
Flagler College, located in St. Augustine, Florida, formerly the Ponce de Leon Hotel, was designed in 1886 – 1887 by the famous architecture firm, Carrier & Hastings out of New York. The developer, Henry Flagler completed the building in 1888 (construction duration was one year).
This design was an interpretation of a new romance style of architecture. While an eclectic design, the building draws from Spanish Architecture of the 19thcentury with a deliberate tropical courtyard arrangement allowing for cross breezes and ventilation. A reflection of local craftsmanship was evoked with poured concrete walls with coquina aggregate. This building is one of Florida’s treasured historical Landmarks.
Thank you to all for participating in our weekly #floridasummersketchtour virtual sketching exercise. All are welcome to participate.
Here’s how it works:
- Select an image or visit the location if possible for a Plein Air sketch
- Using any medium you like, sketch or paint one or more images/views.
- Show us your skills! Snap a photo of your illustration and post it to your Instagram account (or email to Director@flclassicist.org) with your location, a little something about yourself and the following tags by Sunday, July 12 at midnight:
We’ll be searching for those tags and may feature your #floridasummersketchtour image on our Instagram page on Monday!
Ends Sunday, July 12th at midnight.
Take a look at the latest IG Summer Sketch entries
- December 3 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- April 15, 2023 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am